Monday, February 16, 2015

Taking the chill off. . . . . .


It's early afternoon as I write this and I've yet to get out of my flannel pj's - they're 
just too warm and cozy to remove on such a cold day! 
But I will, and soon, and then I'll be back here to share an easy recipe.

OK here I am again, showered, dressed and ready to make chili. I'll even roast 
some veggies in the oven later - it will warm up the kitchen.
It's chili weather for sure. Bob is busy making his chili with meat 
version - and I'm rustling up my own easy veggie version.

I love this chili recipe because I can make two more special dishes with the leftovers.
Add a little more water or vegetable stock, swirl a spoonful of sour cream through it 
and turn it into a hearty soup for another cold and blustery day, or simmer it longer 
until thickened then spread on warmed crispy corn tostada shells along with 
guacamole, grated cheese, shredded lettuce, and a dash of good fire-roasted salsa.


I love bowls. Even more I love bowls like these from Anthroplogie.
I love the uneven shape, the vintage looking glaze, 
and the unusual figurative numbered illustration of the basket. It's different. 
It's perfect for a rib-sticking bowl of chili and rice on a cold night.



Veggie Black Bean Chili (Frijoles Negros)
4 - 15 oz cans black beans
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
5-8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and diced 
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced 
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-2 vegetarian stock cubes
1 rounded teaspoon mild chili powder
1 rounded teaspoon paprika
1/2 rounded teaspoon ground cumin 
2 -10 oz cans RO-TEL diced tomatoes 
with lime and cilantro
5 heaped teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
Salt to taste

Saute onions, garlic, carrot and pepper in the oil
over medium heat until softened - about 8 mins.
Sprinkle in the stock cubes, chili powder, paprika and 
cumin and cook for a minute or two longer stirring.
Tip the beans into a fairly large saucepan and using 
a potato masher just gently crush about a quarter of 
them. Stir onion mixture into the beans, along with 
the tomatoes. Simmer uncovered for about 30 mins. 
until beans are flavorsome and have thickened.
Stir in fresh coriander and season with salt to taste.
For soupy black beans add water, for thicker continue 
to cook down.
Serve alongside white or brown rice accompanied
by taco chips and guacamole.


Buen provecho!

6 comments:

  1. Mary, your chili and the other versions of it sound so wonderful. Your pictures are gorgeous!! And Anthropology.....love...love.
    One of my favorite stores!

    Stay warm my friend!!!

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that looks amazing. I've copied it and put it in my 'February likes'. Thanks Mary. And the bowl is gorgeous. Stay warm today. It is -20 here right now and going up to -14 and sunny. Not bad for Ontario. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I will certainly have to try this! After the ice melts, of course, for I don't have all of the ingredients at the moment. Hope you and Grandpa are staying nice and warm-- that chili should have done the trick last night! We used up the rest of the polenta and paired it with a (store bought) clam chowder to which I chopped and added extra canned Maine clams from Trader Joe's! Turned out a much better, but those store bought chowders are never quite the real thing, huh? Love to you both! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be our dinner tomorrow. I love chilli and with the temperatures about to dip again here, this will be welcomed! Have a lovely evening xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm! Black beans in chili sounds good.
    We usually use kidney beans, but I like your idea.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.